Saturday, February 13, 2016

Veal Piccata

This might be my version of "engagement chicken" because this was the first dish that I cooked with my husband.  In fall 2008, my husband and I just started dating as freshmen at Villanova University.  We started to miss home cooking after eating dining hall food day after day, so I asked my Uncle who lived right by campus if we could use his kitchen to make dinner one night (and also to buy the wine to cook with).  We made Chicken Piccata that time because we were on a college student budget.   But now that I actually have an income, I love to swap in veal every so often to mix things up.  Not only is this a delicious and easy meal, but it brings back some great memories every time I make it.

 Rob loves his artsy ingredient prep shots

 I ended up flipping these pieces too quickly so I had to flip them again to continue to brown on the other side.
 Deglazing a pan with wine gives off the most amazing scent.  I LOVE IT!



Veal Piccata

Ingredient Count: 7 (I only needed to buy 4)


1/4 cup flour
4 veal scallops, about 3/4 pounds
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 lemon, juiced
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tbsp. capers, drained

Salt and pepper the veal, dredge the veal scallops in flour and shake off the excess flour.
Heat oil over medium high heat in a large sauté pan or skillet.  Add butter.  Once melted, add the veal and cook until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes on each side (at least on my stove).  You will know when to flip when the veal comes easily off the pan and there is color on the edges of the top side of the veal scallop.  Transfer to a plate.

Reduce the heat and add the wine to the pan to deglaze.  Bring to a boil while scrapping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, until reduced by half.  Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, garlic and capers.  Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 8 minutes.  Return the veal to the pan and flip the veal scallops in the sauce.  Serve over a plate of pasta with the sauce served over the veal and pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment