Sunday, February 14, 2016

#MasterpieceCocktail Week 6/7: Classic Double Feature

#MasterpieceCocktail is brought to you by my husband, Rob.
Tonight I am bringing you a double feature to make up for missing last week while Amy and I were on vacation in Disney World, where you can find some excellent cocktails if you know where to look for them.  Any way, I digress... Tonight I have two very classic cocktails the Whiskey Sour and the Sidecar.  Both of these are true classics, I hope you enjoy!

Whiskey Sour


I got the idea to make a Whiskey Sour tonight while Amy was watching Barefoot Contessa today and Ina Garten went to this old hotel bar in Paris where she had one.  The Whiskey Sour dates back to the mid-1800s making it the oldest cocktail that I have made.  As Ina pointed out, and I have to agree, freshly squeezed lemon juice is a must, as is a good whiskey.  I used Bowman Brothers (see my post on drinking local for more information) but Rye or blended whiskeys also work.  The base recipe also calls for a Maraschino cherry, but I don't really like cherries so I used a lemon twist.  The resulting drink is refreshing with a nice mix of the bourbon and citrus.
2 oz Bourbon (or other whiskey)
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
Garnish
Shake the ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled glass.
Sidecar

The Sidecar was a first for me, my first time drinking/using Cognac and I got to say I don't know why I waited so long!  The Sidecar is a 1930s classic from Paris where it originated at Harry's New York Bar, where it was named for a patron who regularly rode to the bar in a motorcycle sidecar.  The Sidecar is said to be the precursor drink to both the Daiquiri and the Margarita (which i have a great recipe for which I will post at a later date).  The Sidecar is a very refreshing drink with a slightly sweet yet citrusy taste, its very easy to drink and smells and tastes awesome.  The recipe calls for a salt rim on the glass but I am not a fan of salt in my drinks.
1.5 oz Brandy or Cognac (I used Remy Martin VSOP which is great to drink on its own)
3/4 oz Cointreau
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
Lemon Twist
Salt rim (use lemon to wet the edge) (OPTIONAL)
Shake the ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment