Saturday, January 16, 2016

Parmesan Risotto with Asparagus and Lemon

I absolutely love risotto!  I cooked risotto for the first time a few weeks ago and I think I have made it at least 6 different ways already.  Risotto is a technique that involves cooking rice in broth until it reaches an amazing creamy consistency through constant stirring.  It is a bit labor intensive but DEFINITELY worth it.
You can cook risotto in most pots.  I have made it in my stainless steel sauce pan and saute pan but I have had the best results making it in my Le Crueset dutch oven.  I like the large cooking surface with the high walls so it is harder to lose the rice while stirring constantly.
Saute the shallot for a few minutes and add the garlic in at the last minute since garlic can burn a lot faster than shallot.  You can use an onion if you have that on hand, I prefer the mellower flavor of shallot so I almost always have them in my kitchen.  Make sure you salt and pepper during this step to start building flavor early.  Continue to salt and pepper at each step to continue to build the flavor in this dish.
Add the rice, cook just long enough to toast the rice.  Be sure not to burn the rice
Add 1/2 cup white wine.  Begin stirring the rice, continue to cook until the wine has been absorbed.
Add 1/2 cup of stock, stir until mostly absorbed and add another 1/2 cup of stock and continue to cook until the rice reaches a creamy consistency.  One thing I learned after I cooked this dish for the 2nd time is the difference between stock and broth and its importance to this dish.  When you slowly add broth to the rice, the rice releases starches that give the rice the creamy texture that risotto is famous for.   The risotto is not quite to the desired consistency here since it is still liquidy.

 The first time I made risotto, I used broth and it turned out fine but the 2nd time, I used stock and the consistency of the rice was so much better.  The reason: stock is made from the bony parts of the chicken which adds a richer flavor as well as provides more of a thicker, creamier consistency.
Add the asparagus in with the last 1/2 of broth.  When I last made this, I added  zest since I had a lemon on hand.  The lemon flavor really brought out the rest of the flavors I think I will  use lemon when I make this variation going forward.  


Ingredient Count: 8 (I only had to buy 3)

Parmesan Risotto with lemon and Asparagus
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
1 quart chicken stock
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1 in pieces
1 lemon, zested
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  add the shallot, saute for about 2 minutes.  Once the shallot is translucent, add the garlic and saute for another minute.

Add the rice to the pan and stir.  Cook until there is a slightly nutty aroma.

Add the wine and cook until the liquid is fully absorbed.  Add 1/2 cup of stock at a time to the rice until fully absorbed.

Add the asparagus, lemon zest with the last 1/2 cup of stock , stir until the stock is absorbed.  Remove from heat, stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.  Serve immediately.

Variations

There are so many different ways to serve risotto.  I have added green beans, bell peppers, carrots, leeks, fennel, peas and list goes on and on...  You can even add chicken pieces and create a one pot meal which is even better :)


Risotto with chicken, bell peppers and green beans

No comments:

Post a Comment