Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Chicken Enchiladas


I am not usually one for New Years Resolutions but I figure I'd give it a try this year.  My resolution this year is to blog more so be prepared to hear from me a lot more than 2015.  One big perk of blogging more is I need to cook more and therefore EAT more!! :)  It also means I need to keep cooking a variety of different recipes so I'd figured I'd start this year out with a recipe I had never tried before: Chicken Enchiladas.  If you have read this blog or have seen my Instagram, you can tell I love Mexican food, but I have never made enchiladas before.  And to challenge myself even more I decided to make my own enchilada sauce as well instead of buying a can.  I can tell you, although there was little effort involved, it was well worth the effort.  The sauce added just the right amount of kick to the dish and my husband absolutely loved it (even though he had another pot to clean because of it).

One thing I really enjoyed about these enchiladas as opposed to others I have had in the past is their freshness.  Although in essence it is still a meat filled tortilla covered in sauce and cheese, using chicken (instead of beef) and adding the green pepper and corn provide the dish a good balance between light and heavy foods.  That being said, I was still only able to eat one enchilada for dinner.

You might think that making enchiladas is complicated, but it really is not as long as you remain organized and set up your prep station ahead of time.

 Flour and oil mixture
 Flour, oil, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne
 Enchilada Sauce simmering


 Green pepper, corn, sour cream and chicken mixture
 One of my husband's enchiladas... he is not a fan of green peppers






Ingredient Count: 15  (I only had to buy 7)

Enchilada Sauce
  • 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil 
  • 1 Tbsp. flour 
  • 1/8 cup chili powder 
  • 1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 cups chicken broth 
  • 5 oz. tomato paste 
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano 
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt 
In a medium saucepan heat oil, add flour. Cook for 1 minute. Add chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper, cook for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato paste, oregano, and cumin and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes, or until thick.
  • 2 (6-oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts 
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced crosswise 
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels 
  • 1/2 cup sour cream 
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped 
  • 2 ½ cups(s) Colby Jack cheese or taco blend cheese
  • 3 Green onions, chopped
  • 4 medium flour tortillas, microwaved on high until pliable 
  • Salt and Pepper
Heat oven to 450°F. Fill a medium saucepan with water.  Bring to a boil and salt the water. Add the chicken, reduce heat and simmer until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool; shred.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the green pepper, and 1/4 tsp  salt and pepper; cook,until tender, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the corn and sour cream. Add the chicken, cilantro, hot sauce 1/2 cup of the cheese.

Spread 1/2 of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Roll the chicken mixture in the tortillas tightly and place seam side down in the dish. Continue to do this until the dish is full.  Top with the remaining sauce and cheese. Bake until beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.  Garnish with remaining cilantro and green onions.  Serve on its own or over rice

No comments:

Post a Comment