Monday, December 22, 2014

Spinach Pesto




This is one of my favorite because it can be made fresh or ahead of time.  I usually make two batches when I make so I can use it for dinner as well as throughout the week or freeze it for future use.  If you choose to freeze, do not add Parmesan cheese.

I use this pesto on pasta but there are a multitude of other use such as:
- Pasta Sauce
- Pizza topping
-Pesto chicken salad
-Sandwich spread
- Serve with grilled chicken
-Serve with grilled lamb chops

I love to make pesto chicken salad for sandwiches to bring to work.  Just mix the pesto with 2 cups shredded chicken.  Serve on a baguette with mozzarella and tomato.



There are also a number of variations to this recipe including substituting arugula for spinach or an all basil pesto.  I also make a mint feta pesto to accompany grilled lamb chops. (recipe to come)  I prefer using spinach since it gives the pesto a bit of a bite

Ingredient Count: 8 (only needed to buy 4)

Spinach Basil Pesto

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups spinach
3/4 cup fresh basil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup pine nuts
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Lemon zest
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Directions

Blend the spinach, basil, pine nuts, cheese, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a food processor until nearly smooth


Scrap the sides of the bowl as necessary

 Drizzle the remaining olive oil into the pesto and process until smooth





No comments:

Post a Comment